10.06.2009

true magic

In case you don't know what a Magic Hankie is, it is a womans hankie that has been turned into a baby bonnet with a couple of simple stitches. The bonnet can be worn home from the hospital or at a christening, and then stored until the young lady's wedding day, when she can use it as her "something old".

When I was born, I received a Magic Hankie and I am told that I wore it home from the hospital. I saw it in my baby book as a child, stored in an old milk bag with the poem describing it's use (below). It seemed so far away...getting married. A couple of years ago while home, I came upon it once again and my mother gave it to me to keep for when I would need it. My little hankie waited patiently for 32 years to make it's official reappearance.

It was very special to have my hankie with me on my wedding day, it had a very special history. It was tucked in the back of my dress for safe keeping while I married my love.

At some point that day my Magic Hankie magically disappeared. I have no idea how it snuck away. My heart sunk when I realized it was missing.

I spoke to my mom about it a few days later, expressing my sadness. "Perhaps it got you to where you needed to be, and now you no longer need it" she said. The more I thought about it, the more I believed it. Maybe it was only meant to be mine for a period of time, perhaps the true magic was seeing me through to a very magical time in my life.

I hope it has found a good home and brings abundace, love and magic to it's new owner.


{the magic hankie, similar to mine}

Image from here.

You can purchase Magic Hankies here, or if you're inclined to make your own, instructions can be found here.

THE MAGIC HANKIE
I am just a little hankie, as square as can be;
but with a stitch or two, they've made a bonnet out of me.
I'll be worn home from the hospital, and on special days,
and then I'll be carefully pressed and neatly packed away.
Then on the Wedding, I have been told,
every well dressed Bride must have something old.
So what would be more fitting than to find Little Old Me,
a few stitches snipped and a Wedding Handkerchief
I Will Be!
And if per chance, it is a boy, someday he still will Wed.
So to his Bride he can present
the "Magic Handkerchief" once worn upon his head.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How sad, I almost cried. I hope it does find a good home.


Brandy